Have you ever heard the expression.... Out of site, Out of mind? I am sure you have and it can stand true even with jewelry...
I tried the standard jewelry box that looks like a dresser, and maybe for some that works, but I know for me it didn't, because if I didn't see it, I didn't wear it! The box was kind of awkward too, it didn't fit in my closet and I didn't want it on my dresser, so the only place I could find to place it was under my bathroom sink.. again, out of sight, out of mind!
Here are some great tips to consider when organizing and storing your jewelry!
Conduct a needs assessment on yourself:
- What kind of jewelry person are you? Do you have more necklaces than rings or maybe you only wear earrings.
- Do you have a lot of jewelry?
- Do you wear a lot of jewelry on a pretty consistent basis?
- What pieces are your favorites?
- When was the last time you went through your jewelry?
- How much space do you have to store your jewelry?
- Where do you want to store your jewelry?
Pick the right storage solution for you!
There are many options for jewelry storage. You have to think about how much jewelry you own and exactly what you want displayed. A few options include: standard jewelry boxes, drawer dividers to use the top drawer of a dresser for storage, or ready made jewelry organizers for closets and the back of doors, which you can find at any organizing product store.
The picture above is actually a tie rack, but is being used to store jewelry instead. You can use a pin board and tack necklaces onto it. Look around your home to see what you have and be creative! So many options, but remember before buying anything, take the time to go through your jewelry... you may be surprised what you are holding on too and didn't even realize! This is a great time to donate, to sell, to give away and clear up the space for the pieces you really love the most.
- Do you have a few pieces of jewelry that are your standbys, the pieces you wear most often? Consider placing these items separately. Maybe in a decorative bowl or pretty box in your bathroom or closet shelve.
- Do you have certain outfits you only wear certain jewelry with? Consider placing the necklace with the garment, that way, when you are ready to wear the top, the necklace is there with it.
- If you have very expensive pieces, consider placing these items separately in their own box, and if they are not worn often, place them in a locked safe.
- At least once a year, review your jewelry, sort and purge where necessary, and don't forget to clean and polish!
Until Next Time...