Dealing with those pesky interruptions! We all get interrupted, no matter if we are working in our offices or homes.... people are constantly demanding our attention. Throw in a couple of children or a new co-worker and those interruptions will double!
How is a person suppose to get any work done!
Good question... Here are a few strategies to try:
1) Stand up - When someone enters your office to speak with you, stand up. This small gesture will signal to the person you do not have much time.
2) Say it- Be more direct if you like and let the person know you only have a couple of minutes, this is true for a phone call too.
3) Close your door - Let your colleagues know when the door is closed, please do not interrupt unless it's an emergency.
4) Turn off Technology - Nothing is more distracting than hearing your phone ringing or seeing you have a new email. If you need to focus, turn it all off until your done.
5) Set boundaries - This is especially true for when you are at home. If you are working on a project, let your children and spouse know you need this specific amount of time without any interruptions. Sometimes all they need is to know!
Until Next Time...